Palestinian Narrative Training Program
The story of the Palestinian people has historically been silenced. Storytelling has served a central role in maintaining the Palestinian community, even as we are displaced around the globe. Our Palestinian Narrative Trainings offer tools to Palestinians living in the diaspora to collect, record, and share their family stories as a catalyst for social change.
Join us for our next Palestinian Narrative Training Program in Houston! Our first two trainings in San Francisco and Denver in 2018 brought together over 60 Palestinians to cultivate and share their stories. The Narrative Training will be held at the University of Houston on March 30-31, 2019, from 10am to 5pm on Saturday and 10am to 1pm on Sunday. Workshop attendees will be encouraged to develop, write, and perform their stories. Participants will also have the opportunity to work one on one with Dr. Nadia Abuelezam of Palestinians Podcast to develop their story for a live storytelling event.
The primary goals of the narrative training are to...
Proclaim our identity by learning about our history, family, and culture. Dispel stereotypes by celebrating and sharing our strengths and heritage. Strengthen our voice by communicating experiences through our own eyes and in our own words. Share our stories by speaking to faith-based and other communities to inspire action.
At narrative trainings, you will...
- Learn methods needed to tell stories in narrative form while providing historical context
- Share your family history by recording stories; interviewing your elders; and archiving documents, pictures, and artifacts
- Develop tools for sharing your narratives in written, visual, and spoken formats in a variety of public spaces
- Gain a deeper understanding of your heritage and contribute to the future of our community
After completing a training, you will have the opportunity to...
- Contribute your family narrative to an online collection
- Be added to FOSNA's Palestinian speakers list, for opportunities to be invited to public speaking engagements
- Refine your stories with follow-up support from past trainers and participants
Through our Palestinian Narrative Training Program, FOSNA is dedicated to…
- Sharing the story of the Palestinian people with faith-based communities
- Centering Palestinian voices at denominational gatherings
- Fostering and promoting a Palestinian speakers list for conferences and events across North America
- Sponsoring national speaking tours featuring Palestinian leaders (most recently, Omar Barghouti, Ahed Tamimi, and Naim Ateek)
- Promoting Palestinian leadership within FOSNA and the broader BDS and Palestinian liberation movement
Our Palestinian Narrative trainings are led by Palestinians, for Palestinians...
FOSNA has partnered with Dr. Nadia Abuelezam to facilitate Palestinian Narrative Trainings across the country. Nadia is the creator and producer of Palestinians Podcast and an accomplished teacher, storyteller, and producer with a passion for the craft of storytelling and narrative. Born and raised in San Francisco and now living in Boston, Nadia values storytelling and its impact in building community and creating unity within the Palestinian diaspora. She has performed stories on stages across the United States including the Millennium Stage at the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts in Washington, D.C.