Come and See Witness Trip
Led by Kathy Bergen, Joy Lapp, and Arnie Voigt
Friends of Sabeel North America and Canadian Friends of Sabeel
- Visit the holy sites in the Old City of Jerusalem—the Western Wall, the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, and the Dome of the Rock.
- Take an alternative tour of the Old City and see the political impact of Jewish settlements on the people living in the four Quarters of the Old City.
- Experience the realities of the Palestinian community living under Israeli occupation: the wall, settlements, checkpoints, confiscated land and demolished homes, refugee camps, and environmental degradation.
- Visit the Sabeel Ecumenical Liberation Theology Center in Jerusalem and Nazareth and with Kairos Palestine in Bethlehem.
- Meet with Palestinian groups such as Wi’am, Al-Haq, and the Human Rights Association in Nazareth.
- Meet with Israeli groups like B’Tselem; the Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories; and Zochrot, which raises awareness of the Palestinian villages destroyed in 1948.
- Visit the site of a destroyed Palestinian village and learn about the loss of civil and property rights currently experienced by Palestinians with Israeli citizenship.
- Travel to a Bedouin village in the Negev Desert and hear of their struggles.
- Spend two nights in the Galilee and visit Nazareth, the Mount of Beatitudes, and the Sea of Galilee.
- Tour Nablus in the heart of the West Bank including Balata Refugee Camp and Jacob’s Well.
- Meet with the Christian Peacemaker Team in Hebron, and visit the Ibrahimi Mosque, honored by Jews and Muslims as the burial place of Abraham.
Kathy Bergen has worked for Palestinian human rights and a just peace between Palestinians and Israelis since 1982. She lived in Jerusalem and Ramallah for 16 years. She is currently lives in Waterloo, Ontario, and serves on the Canadian Friends of Sabeel board.
Joy Lapp teaches religion at Iowa Wesleyan University. She spent three years in the Middle East working with Mennonite Central Committee and serves on the steering committee of the Mennonite Palestine Israel Network (MennoPIN).
Arnie Voigt is a Lutheran minister. He lives in the Denver metro area. He has visited Palestine and Israel many times and has led numerous tour groups. He works with Bright Stars of Bethlehem and is a co-leader of Friends of Sabeel—Colorado.
Includes: honoraria for speakers, entrance fees, ground transportation, and tips
Does not include: airfare, travel from and to the Tel Aviv airport, souvenirs, personal expenses, or travel insurance.
The program begins with dinner at our hotel at 6:00 p.m. on June 17, followed by introductions and orientation. Each participant will arrange his or her own trip to Tel Aviv and return. Departure is on June 30. Prices are based on double-occupancy. There will be a $400 supplement for a single room. Prices are based on a minimum of 12 travelers, and subject to changes due to circumstances beyond our control.
* By April 1, a confirmation of $300 (U.S.) will be asked from every participant.
**Travelers must have a passport that is valid six months beyond date of re-entry to the United States or Canada.
For more information, contact:
We extend to you a warm invitation to join this cross-cultural encounter.
View the holy sites and visit with people passionately involved in peacemaking today.
A complete and detailed schedule will be available closer to departure date.
Please join us on this unforgettable journey!