Come and See Israel/Palestine Witness Trip
Learn about the impact of the Israeli occupation on Palestinian life and consider what is needed for a just peace:
• Take an alternative tour of the Old City of Jerusalem and see the political impact of Jewish settlements on the people living in the four Quarters of the Old City.
• Visit the Sabeel Ecumenical Liberation Theology Center in Jerusalem and Nazareth and with Kairos Palestine in Bethlehem.
• Meet with Palestinian groups such as the Palestinian Boycott Movement.
• Meet with Israeli groups like B’Tselem, the Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories, and Zochrot, which raises awareness of the Palestinian villages destroyed in 1948.
• Visit the site of a destroyed Palestinian village and learn about the loss of civil and property rights currently experienced by Palestinians with Israeli citizenship.
• Travel to a Bedouin village in the Negev Desert and hear of their struggles.
• Spend two nights in the Galilee and visit Nazareth, the Mount of Beatitudes, and the Sea of Galilee.
• Tour Nablus in the heart of the West Bank including Balata Refugee Camp and Jacob’s well.
• Meet with the Christian Peacemaker Team in Hebron, and visit the Ibrahimi Mosque, honored by Jews and Muslims as the burial place of Abraham.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A RIGOROUS TRIP THAT INCLUDES CLIMBING OF STAIRS AND MUCH WALKING, SOMETIMES OVER ROUGH TERRAIN.
Price: $2,200 (U.S.)
Includes: hotel, all meals, honoraria for speakers, entrance fees, ground transportation, and tips.
Does not include: airfare, travel from and to the Tel Aviv airport, souvenirs, personal expenses, or travel insurance.
The program begins with dinner at our hotel at 6 p.m. on May 10, followed by introductions and orientation. Each participant will arrange his/her own trip to Tel Aviv and return. Departure is on May 22. Prices are based on double occupancy. There will be a supplement for a single room. Prices are based on a minimum of 12 travelers, and subject to changes due to circumstances beyond our control.
* By February 15, a confirmation of $300 (U.S.) will be asked from every participant.
**Travelers must have a passport that is valid six months beyond date of re-entry to the United States or Canada.
For more information, contact:
Kathy Bergen at 226-647-0120 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Joy Lapp at 720-201-3697 or email@example.com
Kathy Bergen has worked for Palestinian human rights and a just peace between Palestinians and Israelis since 1982. She lived in Jerusalem and Ramallah for 16 years. She is currently living in Waterloo, Ontario, and is serving on the Canadian Friends of Sabeel board.
Joy Lapp teaches religion at Iowa Wesleyan University. She spent three years in the Middle East working with Mennonite Central Committee and serves on the Steering Committee of the Mennonite Palestine Israel Network (MennoPIN).