July 13, 2018
We’re excited to announce that the Episcopal Church, with more than 3 million members, has just voted to divest from companies involved in Israel’s violation of Palestinian rights! This is the first of many steps that the Episcopal Church is taking to end its complicity in Israeli occupation and confront the intensifying violence waged against Palestinians.
FOSNA is proud to have supported the Episcopal Peace Fellowship-Palestine Israel Network (EPF-PIN), along with many dedicated allies, in urging the church to respond to the global call for justice for Palestinians.
Through the resolutions approved, the Episcopal Church has decided to:
- End its complicity in the occupation by conducting a human rights screen on its investments and divesting accordingly
- Reaffirm Palestinian self-determination and a commitment to achieving a just peace
- Condemn the use of live fire on protesters in Gaza and call for the United States to cooperate with U.N.-led investigations
- Call on the United States to restore funding to UNRWA for Palestinian refugees
- Safeguard the rights of Palestinian children under international law
- Condemn the U.S. embassy move to Jerusalem and advocate for equal access for all Jerusalem residents to holy sites
Members of EPF-PIN, the Interfaith Community for Palestinian Rights–Austin, FOSNA, American Friends Service Committee, the US Campaign for Palestinian Rights, and American Muslims for Palestine at the 79th Episcopal General Convention.
The results of this year’s general convention mark unprecedented support by the Episcopal Church for Palestinian rights. These victories reflect growing American support for Palestinian justice. The powerful Palestinian voices heard during the first testimonies (like this one from Tarek) continued to echo through the convention as the resolutions moved through the House of Deputies and Bishops. We commend the Episcopal Church for joining this global movement and we look forward to further building the movement with you!
Join leaders of the Episcopal and Presbyterian churches on the next FOSNA Activist Network webinar to hear more about the resolutions and their reflections on lessons learned as we continue to strengthen Christian advocacy for Palestine. The webinar is scheduled for Monday, July 23, at 5pm PST/8pm EST. Register here!
Friends of Sabeel North America
P.S. Join us in celebrating these victories! Register for this year’s Prophetic Action: Christians Convening for Palestine to build this growing momentum and strengthen the effective strategies and tactics for leading campaigns in your denomination or community!