Sabeel Colorado Fact-Finding Trip
Seeking Understanding in Israel/Palestine:
A Two-Week Fact-Finding Trip
May 17-31, 2014
To visit with Palestinian and Israeli peace and human rights groups and individuals working for peace.
To see first-hand the reality of Palestinian life and the impact of the Israeli occupation - the wall, settlements, checkpoints, roadblocks, refugee camps, etc.
To consider what is needed for a just peace.
• Stay in the Old City of Jerusalem, within easy walking distance of the Western Wall, the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, and the Dome of the Rock.
• Explore the holy sites and bazaars of the Old City of Jerusalem.
• Visit the Sabeel Ecumenical Liberation Theology Center in Jerusalem.
• Stand with the Women in Black on Friday at noon, visit with Machsom Watch Women and ex-soldiers from Breaking the Silence.
• Visit a Bedouin community near Jerusalem and learn of their struggles.
• Visit the Augusta Victoria Hospital and see how an institution of mercy struggles under the occupation to fulfill its ministry.
• Visit a Palestinian refugee camp and witness checkpoints and roadblocks.
• Visit in the homes of Palestinian Christians in the Bethlehem area.
• See the Wall and learn about its impact in Jerusalem and in villages in the West Bank.
• Travel to Galilee to visit Nazareth, the Mount of Beatitudes, and spend two nights by the Sea of Galilee.
• Learn about the many Palestinian villages that were destroyed in 1948, and the current struggle of “unrecognized Arab villages” in Israel.
• Visit Nablus in the heart of the West Bank, tour Balata Refugee camp, and Jacob’s Well.
• Visit with a Jewish settler in a West Bank settlement.
• Meet with the Christian Peacemaker Team in Hebron, and visit the Mosque of Ibrihim, honored by Jews and Muslims as the burial place of Abraham.
• Swim in the Dead Sea and visit Masada and the caves of Qumran.
Joy Lapp teaches religion at Iowa Wesleyan College. She spent three years in the Middle East working with Mennonite Central Committee and serves on the Friends of Sabeel-North America Steering Committee.
Arnie Voigt is a Lutheran minister. He has visited Israel/Palestine many times and has led numerous tour groups. This is the eighth trip that Arnie and Joy are organizing together.
$2600 Includes: hotel, 2 meals per day, tour guide and entrance fees, transportation, and tips. Does not include: airfare, lunch, souvenirs, personal expenses or travel insurance. Travelers will arrange their own flights to arrive in Jerusalem by May 18. Our program begins with dinner at our hotel at 6 pm on May 18, followed by introductions and orientation. Departure is on May 31.Prices are based on double-occupancy. Supplement for a single room is $735. Prices are based on a minimum of 20 travelers, and subject to changes due to circumstances beyond our control.
Travelers must have a passport that is valid six months beyond date of re-entry to U.S.
Confirmation and $100 payment needed by February 15, 2014.
We extend a warm invitation to join this cross-cultural encounter to view the holy sites, and to visit with people passionately involved in the effort of peacemaking today. Please join us on this unforgettable journey!