June 23, 2018
Big news! We’re excited to announce that the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has overwhelmingly adopted several resolutions that take a bold stance in solidarity with Palestine. Together with the Israel/Palestine Mission Network (IPMN), the church raised the bar for the way mainstream institutions and faith-based organizations can use their collective voice to strengthen the global movement for justice.
We’re so honored to have supported and witnessed these monumental achievements in the movement for justice for Palestinians, alongside IPMN, U.S. Campaign for Palestinian Equal Rights, American Muslims for Palestine, St. Louis Palestine Solidarity Committee, Palestinian Christian Alliance for Peace, and St. Louis Jewish Voice for Peace. The overtures adopted by the Presbyterian Church achieved the following:
- Opposing anti-BDS legislation at the state and federal level
- Receiving the call from the National Coalition of Christian Organizations in Palestine to stand firmly in solidarity with Palestine
- Opposing Israel’s illegal annexation of Jerusalem and its discriminatory practices against Palestinians
- Encouraging authentic Jewish-Christian relationships that recognize systemic inequality and are grounded in a mutual commitment to work together for justice
- Opposing Israel’s discrimination against Palestinians and other citizens of Israel, and calling for U.S. diplomatic action toward equality
- Urging RE/MAX to stop facilitating sales in Israeli settlements
- Condemning Israel's attacks on protesters in the Great March for Return and blockade on Gaza
- Rejecting normalization efforts that ignore the power imbalance between Palestinians and Israelis
We commend IPMN for pushing the conversation to include the rights of Palestinians in Israel, as it is crucial that our work advocates for Palestinians globally — in Israel, West Bank, Gaza, in refugee camps, and the diaspora. IPMN also modeled the lifting of Palestinian voices throughout the committee hearings.
These tremendous victories illustrate the power of boycott, divestment, and sanction campaigns in educating and moving an institution into alignment with human rights and justice. Be sure to join us for our Prophetic Action: Christians Convening for Palestine conference this September to learn more about effective strategies and tactics for leading campaigns in your denomination or community!
Join us in celebrating these victories as we continue the fight for full freedom, justice, and equality for the Palestinian people!